Monday, January 9, 2012

On the Waterfront

For this movie, I had higher expectations because I've always heard Marlon Brando was such a great actor but I didn't really feel it was all that great.  I thought the plot was too slow.

I kept waiting for something more monumental to happen.  I didn't feel the leading lady was all that entertaining either.  The overall plot had a good meaning, but as mentioned took so long to get there.  I also didn't appreciate the fact that a priest was smoking, drinking and fighting.  That just took away from his character for me. 

I did think the movie had a realistic feel to what it would be like with the mob making all the decisions.  What an awful way to live not knowing if you'll work one day or not.  I also appreciated how everything was so real for the scenery.  It wasn't like today's movies when everything seems to be "recreated".  This film was truly made on the waterfront, even down to the cold air they were breathing.  The pigeons were an interesting touch, but didn't really put them together with the rest of the story, except when the little boy had killed the one and threw it saying "A pigeon for a pigeon".

I really just kept waiting for this one to be over, so it wasn't my favorite movie but I always enjoy trying something new so I enjoyed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment