Monday, January 9, 2012

Casablanca

Overall, I didn't mind watching Casablanca.  I don't recall ever watching a black and white movie and wasn't quite sure what to expect.  I didn't forsee the ending as typically the leading man always gets the lady and he let her go in this one.

I was somewhat distracted while watching part of this movie trying to entertain my kids so I had to rewind a few times to make sure of what was happening.  My mood was not real excited as I didn't think the movie was going to be very exciting and throughout, I was tring to find things that were different from what today's movies are like.  One thing I did notice was that in both Casablanca and On the Waterfront, the reference was made to wearing metal on the teeth of both of the main woman characters.  I found that a little odd.  I also found it odd that really there was only 1 woman character throughout the movie and the rest were all men.  Everyone smoked throughout the movie as well.  I did enjoy the music from the piano player and I liked how the movie really made me think what it would have been like to live back in those days.  Although, I don't think I would have enjoyed it during the War.

I do have a sound bar so the music that was already enhanced in the older movies was even more enhanced each time something "big" was about to happen.  I think there is a bit less of that in movies these days, except for the scary ones seem to do that more.  The costumes seemed not excessive at all, but just as they would then.  The costume creators these days have a bigger challenge when trying to recapture times from a few decades back.

All in all, I would rate this one above On the Waterfront as I felt the acting was better.

No comments:

Post a Comment