Sunday, January 15, 2012

The King's Speech

The King's Speech overall was a bit hard to watch as I starting watching it late in the evening and ended up falling asleep.  The next morning, I restarted it and watched it all the way through.  It was still a little rough getting through, but overall had a good story and the acting was very good.  My personal preference is more along the lines of action or comedy.

Since it was based on the true story, it stacked up very well for the credibility of the story line.  The setting seemed quite real, down to the fog and rain on the outside scenes.  The acting, especially of the main character was very well done and you could really feel his struggles and how hard it was for him to speak.  It was definitely emotional, and I was wanting to help him along somehow.   When comparing to the actual speech, it is incredible how well he portrayed the role and the speech.

With simplicity and complexity, I did feel it had a good blend.  It wasn't too long in length, although it did take a while to really get started.  Personally, I have so little patience speaking with people and watching the movie brought some of that frustration out, because it was like say it already (as did his brother say in the movie, I believe) and in that case, I was annoyed that he would mock his speech impediment.

The significance of the title was clearly appropriate and relevant.  It was the end result of what the show was leading up to and you always knew it was coming from when the movie started, however, I wasn't aware of what the content of the speech was going to be.

I felt the film had internal conflict as he was so conflicted with himself and his inability to speak in public and feeling like a failure and letting so many people down.  There was also the constant conflict between him and his speech therapist with not agreeing with the unorthodox teaching and then with the Father on informing him that he will continue to use him as his therapist regardless of his credentials.  Even allowing him in places other normal people would never be allowed.

I felt the main character was developing as well as the thereapist.  They both used characterization through diologue and through appearance.  They ended up teaching each other so many things about life, love, friendship and loyalty.  The references to his coin (can't recalll exactly what it was called) was in the beginning a main point, but as they progressed, it was a mutual respect they gained from each other as the story within the story.  I believe that could be referred to as an allegory.

I know there was a lot of symbolic meanings throughout the show, but I read the chapter after I had watched this film, so it was my focus during the movie.  A lot of the symbols, like the microphone and the blinking light on the microphone were symbolic of fear as were crowds of people.  I think when they were at the therapist's house and how they were hunbled by such an elite class of people in their home was symbolic.

I didn't notice a lot of irony in this film, but think that maybe Irony of situation when his brother, who seemed to clearly lack confidence in himself or his brother's ability to be King was reassessed after his speech and the clear confidence and strength it took for him to overcome speaking for one, but to do so with a speech that was critical to the people and had such a sad but enduring undertone to it.

As stated, it was a movie on my list to watch but had put it off just because I knew it was full of action or suspense, but the message and reality to it made it a worthwhile film to watch and a definite thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment