Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Graduate

The Graduate, I have to say I would likely fail this one!  I have to give credit to the acting and the sound but just wasn't really thrilled with the style and the story of this film.  What I took from this movie was don't give up on what you want and also be aware of the decisions you make and the affect they have on others.  Having an affair with your father's partner's wife would not be the best move a person could make.  He would not give up on the girl and that was commendable as he stated he's never been around anyone that has made him want to do something or be better.  He just graduated from a prestigious college and did very well from what I could gather and yet, he had the social skills of a 5th grader.  I also couldn't tell if by getting the girl at the end, that really made him happy as they both seemed to look at each and think "now what".  It was like the race was exciting but now that's over so nothing more to do.

I appreciated the sound effects, like with the flippers walking out to the pool and the breathing in the air hose and the bubbles as well as the use of the camera angle really putting the audience in his place.  However, with the music score, I was really done with hearing "Here's to you Mrs. Robinson" as I thought that was used in excess.  It did stimulate an emotional response every time it was played and I enjoyed the comical piece at first, but then was bored.  The diologue throughout the film was definitely clear and concise but slow.  The scene where they were trying to talk at the drive-in and he asked the people to turn their music down, but they turned it up was interesting.  I assume it was just more of his lack of confidence and how noone really listens to what he says.  That was clear as every time he tried to tell his parents something, they just spoke over him.  He wasn't allowed to really think for himself as his decisions were already made for him, regardless of what he wanted.

The color of the film didn't seem real effective.  What stood out to me was the fishtank and the swimming pool for color.  I did notice the use of the pictures in a couple scenes and the dartboard in his room and of course his red care was a vivid use of color throughout.  It was also pretty odd that a man with such insecurities about everything and no social skills was dring a red car around.  I'm sure it was used for that purpose. 

As mentioned, the acting was good.  I think Dustin Hoffman did a great job becoming the character.  It was very believeable that this was truly the life he led.  Mrs. Robinson was so adament in her scenes about everything, she put nothing to doubt and just bossed him around like everyone else.  I would describe the acting as Impersonators.  The casting was good.  You couldn't tell that Mrs. Robinson was actually only a few years older than Dustin Hoffman in reality since there should have been a couple decades differeence for teh movie perspective. 

The director's style was probably what I liked least about this movie.  I would have to categorize it as loosely structured and rambling.  Not because of the dialogue but because of the scene structure and editing.  The way the flashbacks or random thoughts he kept going to in his mind during the "intimate" scenes were bizarre and hard to follow for me.  The setting and design were all fine. 

In comparison to Amelie, I could see some of the similar attempts at comedy but even with subtitles, Amelie had more personality than The Graduate had for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment