Sunday, January 15, 2012

Good Will Hunting

I always enjoyed this movie and have watched it a number of times, and yet still can't fully appreciate the depths required to get all the meaning that it intended.

The story felt very realistic in its plot.  The storyline kept me interested and kept me rooting for Will as well as the other characters.  Because of the many underlying stories in this film, I thought it had a lot of simplicity and complexity, but I don't think it lacked or exceeded on either one.  Unless I was trying to follow along with how he solved the math problems!  The length was not excessive either, it had enough time to appropriately tell the stories of the characters and get a clear sense of them.

Certainly, the title of this would not at first make you think it was the kind of story it was.  My interpretation now would be to turn the title around to hunting good will.  A little irony on the name as well as the meaning of the story it told.  I have never really considered the names of the characters before, unless they were mythological and it just now occurred to me on the name Will and its characterization through choice of name.  A lot of stereotyping as well with in the beginning he is shown as a janitor, implying that his intelligence level was far less than it really was.

The story had to use non linear structures to understand the history of the character, but still staying mostly chronological.  Flashbacks are often necessary to add that visual that puts a little more clarity to the viewer, rather than a subjective or made up scene from how it was explained or interpreted.

This film had a lot of conflict in it for multiple characters.  The conflict was both internal and external with himself but with others as demonstrated with the fight scenes both physical and verbal.  The conflict was definitely at the heart of the story.  The characters again were not static, but ever growing.

As noted in the discussion threads, there was a lot of symbolism in this film.  Most notably the art and what it stood for with multiple characters.  This was a piece of the text that I found very interesting as I was trying to recall other movies and how symbolic they were and it will definitely be a major thing I look for watching movies in the future.  Somebody referred to the clover throughout the movie referring to his Irish roots and drinking in the Irish bar.  Pieces of a story that I think is overlooked at the overall determination of movie, but when you think about played a big role in whether you like it or not. 

This is a movie that I would give a thumbs up to because I like the story of strength that it tells and overcoming obstacles that life often presents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment